The Society for Resource Management (SHRM)
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest professional association devoted to human resource management. Our mission is to serve the needs of HR professionals by providing the most current and comprehensive resources, and to advance the profession by promoting HR’s essential, strategic role. Founded in 1948, SHRM represents more than 275,000 individual members in over 140 countries, and has a network of more than 575 affiliated chapters in the United States, as well as offices in China and India.
Purpose of SHRM
SHRM’s mission is to serve the professional development needs of HR professionals.
The organization works through research, publications, and legislative input to advance the interests of the HR profession. Lately, SHRM has extended efforts to impact the workplace as a whole through stepped up legislative recommendations and the development of industry standards.
SHRM offers an annual national conference somewhere in the United States, usually in June. The speakers are experts in their respective fields and give valuable information for all.
Also, the conference also allows HR people to network with each other, providing the opportunity to grow our careers, as well as help others, grow theirs.
SHRM sponsors additional national conferences focusing on areas such as legislation. SHRM has also traditionally sponsored smaller, regional conferences through its state affiliated chapters.
Typically, a local SHRM chapter offers monthly lunch meetings. These meetings feature member networking and a speaker with expert credentials who talks on a topic related to member interests. It also allows you a space to meet with other people who understand what HR does on a daily basis. The shared situation and experience can relieve stress.
- SHRM has always focused on making sure HR practitioners are seeking and attaining certification.
- We are committed to ensuring that the certification our members achieve is recognized as best in class and distinguishes them in the marketplace.
- This certification is the culmination of over three years of research, and based on the SHRM Competency Model, which was validated by more than 35,000 HR professionals around the world. These HR professionals identified the skills needed to grow and succeed in HR careers.
- The SHRM Certification preparation program will include:
- the new global Body of Competency and Knowledge (SHRM BoCK);
- a comprehensive exam; and
- the world-class instructional materials and certification preparation tools you have come to expect from SHRM.
- SHRM understands the time and energy you've invested in obtaining your existent credentials and our goal is to make earning the new SHRM Certification as simple as is reasonably possible to ensure your continued success.
- If you are currently certified, you will not lose or have to give up any of your current credentials in order to obtain the new SHRM Certification.
- However, we do believe the new SHRM Certification will become the new standard for HR professionals around the globe, as it is among the first HR certifications that is focused on teaching and testing the practical, real-life information HR professionals need to excel in their careers today, including knowledge, skills and competencies.
SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
HR professionals who implement policies and strategies, serve as point of contact for staff and stakeholders, deliver HR services, and perform operational HR functions, should take the SHRM-CP exam.
SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
HR professionals who develop strategies, lead the HR function, foster influence in the community, analyze performance metrics, and align HR strategies to organizational goals, should take the SHRM-SCP exam.
How SHRM Certification is important
Earning your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP credential makes you a recognized expert and leader in the HR field—and a valuable asset to your organization, keeping you and your organization more competitive in today's economy. This professional distinction sets you apart from your colleagues, proving your high level of knowledge and skills.
The profession is no longer just about what you know—facts and figures—but rather how you effectively implement that knowledge in the workplace each and every day. SHRM certification provides you the opportunity to prove not only what you know but also how you can apply that knowledge on the job.
SHRM certifications directly link to on-the-job scenarios and realistic work situations. Seventy-three percent of examinees say the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams are HR job-relevant.
Built upon one comprehensive SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge, SHRM certification is applicable across industries, geographic borders, job responsibilities and career levels
Focused on advancement
More than 5,000 employers are seeking SHRM credential-holders every month. The SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credentials are based on the current HR landscape, focusing on the competencies and knowledge HR professionals need to lead in today’s business community. Boost your confidence to take that next step in your HR career or to distinguish yourself in a job search.
Based on in-depth research focused on—and backed by—global employers and business leaders, the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credentials reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
The SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams are accredited by the Burros Center for Testing, asserting that the HR credentials meet the highest standards in testing.
Backed by SHRM
SHRM certification is the only HR certification offered by the world’s largest HR membership organization. As the industry leader in HR professional development, SHRM has supported more than 100,000 employers representing 140 million employees worldwide.
Human Resources is a constantly changing field, and there is no way one person can keep on top of every regulation change and every best practice.
Membership is inexpensive for a business and will return value to the company. Remind your management that mistakes are easy to make and expensive to recover from. SHRM membership is a cheap way to stay on top of changes.
If you're part of a large HR team, membership may not be as critical. You have expertise among your colleagues, and you can become an expert in your area of focus. However, having information, networking, conventions, sample templates for policies and procedures, and ideas to help you determine your next steps are also valuable.
SHRM also offers education and training that can help you advance in your HR career. If you hold certification, such as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certificate, you can use SHRM classes to fulfill your continuing education requirements.
November 18, 2018