Primary sources are documents, images or objects that deliver firsthand direct proof about an historical topic under research investigation. Primary sources are unique forms created or experienced with the event being investigated.
Examples of Primary Source
- Financial reports made by the financial managers. Because the data is reported directly by them.
- A diary written by a person is a primary source. Because the data in it is reported directly by the that person .And he is writing it for himself.
- A person went to a physics class and sit there and observe everything and at the end of the class he present a report of the class , this report will be known as a primary source because its reported directly by that person .
- A person taking interview of Prime Minster ,the information that he will report will be primary source because this is reported directly by him .
- A teacher taking attendance in the class is primary source because its reporting of the present period .
- A person writing Autobiography is also a primary source because he is giving directly that information and writing about himself .
- A person writing Memo to another person is also Example of primary source because its informal way of communication .
- Telephonic interview is also an example of primary source. Because the person is getting information directly and that is pure.
A secondary source is an effort that understands or examines an historical event or period after the event has happened and, generally speaking, with the use of primary sources. The same document, or other piece of evidence, may be a primary source in one investigation and secondary in another.
Examples of Secondary Source
- If a person publish the significance of Louis Pasteur Experiments , this information will be known as secondary source because the information will be not original but the analysis of that experiments.
- Book about the rise in the illiteracy rate in Pakistan is example of secondary source because the information provided in book is proven .
- An editorial comment made by someone on the recent Panama Case of Nawaz Shareef is also example of secondary source because it’s an analysis of that panama case.
- The current biology book of the 9 class is also example of Secondary source .Because the information provided is proven .
- Blogs in the newspaper and magazines about the freedom or any topic are also example of secondary source. Because it’s the an analysis of the topic.
- If a government department has conducted a survey of, family food expenditures, then, a food manufacturer might use this data in the organization’s evaluations of the total potential market for a new product.
- If a magazine writer wrote about the speech Nelson Mandela delivered when he was inaugurated President of South Africa in 1990, it will be a secondary source. The information is not original, but an analysis of the speech.
- Magazine article about Literacy rate in the Female’s in 21 century is also example of secondary source . Because the information provided is the analysis of the topic.
A tertiary source is an index or textual consolidation of primary and secondary sources. Some tertiary sources are not to be used for academic research, unless they can also be used as secondary sources, or to find other sources.
Examples of Tertiary Source
- Sites like Wikipedia are the example of tertiary source because they provide data or information that is verified and is along with references.
- Dictionaries are also example of tertiary source because they provide already verified facts and information along with references.
- Guides and Handbooks are the examples of tertiary source because they include facts and information and also Many references regarding the information.
- The information provided in bibliographies is tertiary source because the provided is verified .
- Survey or overview articles are usually tertiary because the information provided is verified by research .
- Drugs Facts and Comparisons is an Site that provide information regard drugs and the information provided is proven by facts and figures.
- Encyclopedias is also example of tertiary source because the information provided is analyzed keenly and proven by facts and figures.
- Directories are also example of tertiary source because they provide the information that is verified and accepted by many people.
November 14, 2018